|A hug is energy healing.|
What is energy healing and how does it fit in with the Gospel, if it all?
1. A better first question might be "What is energy?" If you look around you at the first object your eyes fall on--perhaps your hand, or your computer--and you imagined magnifying that object until you could see inside the cells, what you would see would be just vibrating bits of energy. In truth, all matter is just energy. And not just matter. Sound and light are also vibratatory frequencies. Vibrating energy. So the answer to "What is Energy?" is really: everything.
2. The cool thing about energy is that it is also intelligence(s). The energy/intelligence in your hand knows to be a hand and not a book. The energy/intelligence in my desk knows to be a piece of wood and not an elephant or cloud.
3. Pictures, music, and words, both spoken and unspoken are energy and they influence other energy/intelligences. Some wonderful experiments have been done on this. Probably the most photogenic experiments were the ones done by Matsuro Emoto on the nature of water. Here is an example of some water taken from the same source that was then spoken kind words, unkind words, prayer, etc.:
He also did experiments where he played music to, showed the water pictures, and spoke mentally to the water.
The logical next thought you might be having is that humans are 70-90% water--depending on age...
|In this image they used many grains of rice, but you get the idea.|
4. Once you understand energy, the next logical question is "What is Healing? And How Do Poeple/Energy/Intelligences Heal?" The simple answer is: all healing comes through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It just does. Even if people don't know it or acknowledge it.
5. At it's most basic level, energy healing is about changing the energy/intelligence from one frequency to a higher frequency. (The ultimate highest frequency being like Jesus Christ.) Since all energy is also intelligence, it responds to divine intention and command. Because we are all, royal, children of God, and joint-heirs with Christ, we are divine, and energy will respond to us.
This is not a new idea. Perhaps it is just being presented in a different way in this new age and so it seems new. In truth, energy healing happens every day without your realizing it, as you can see with the water experiments above. If you say something kind or give someone a hug, you are doing energy healing. Prayer counts as energy healing. A priesthood blessing does, too.
Our negative thoughts and exposure are also affecting our energy or vibratory frequency. A simple way to think of it is that if our vibratory frequency falls below a certain level, we get sick or other kinds of dis-ease.
5 1/2. Intention
Many great peer reviewed studies have been done on the power of intention and have been replicated hundreds of times with the same results. For example, there are several studies on using intention to stop the growth of yeast in humans (and in dishes). In another experiment, intention was directed at random number generating machines--each time, the subjects were able to get the machines to generate a predictable pattern of numbers. This study was also replicated hundreds of times. The HeartMath Institute was the first scientific institute to notice and document that the very act of viewing an experiment changed the outcome of the experiment.
I should note that because we live in a polarity planet (opposition in all things), the same way that energy can be upleveled to create healing, it can also be downgraded by our own negative thoughts, bad behavior and by tools of Satan to create sickness and sadness and even death. The devil also uses energy as a tool.
6. Why is energy healing needed?
If you think about it, a cancerous tumor is just energy. If it is just energy then it can be healed by energy. Old hurts are energy too, and when they get trapped in your body, they start to get everything around them vibrating at the same frequency. Pretty soon everything starts to go to that frequency. Maybe it becomes a tumor or maybe a person just becomes bitter and attracts more bitterness into theirs lives.
Deep down everyone wants to be happy, and deep down we all have the resources to get there. But most people, especially once they fall below a certain frequency, can't access these resources on their own anymore. They need help.
Some people with spiritual gifts and training and who understand the way energy works in the body and with the mind and in relation to the energy around you, can help. Sometimes they call themselves energy healers. Sometimes they have other names. The really good ones will always act under the direction of and give credit to God.
7. The ultimate energy healer: Jesus Christ
When the woman with the issue of blood touched Christ's robe and he felt "virtue" go out of him, what He was really saying was that he felt power go out of him. What most people don't recognize is that this power was not like oil in a lamp that became depleted. It was more like electricity--an energy-- that went out of it. This power doesn't run out. But He could feel it had been activated and flowed from him. It was activated in this case by the woman's faith. Faith is also an energy. The combination of his "virtue" and her faith are what healed her.
8. Distance and Proxy Healing. Energy/intelligence is smart. It knows how to get where it's going, and it knows when it's being acted upon even at a distance. That's why energy healing works at a distance and with proxies. This is how all of our temple work is done for the dead--by proxies. How do you think that ordinance knows how to get to the right person? It just does, conditional on them accepting it of course. There are many examples of distance healing in the scriptures. Christ healed many people that weren't present, just by saying the word and commanding it so. Have you ever witnessed anyone be miraculously healed through group prayer or fasting? I have. That is distance healing.
9. I have found many more examples of energy healing in the scriptures by Jesus Christ, his apostles and many old testament prophets like Elijah and Elisha and many more. I will post about some of them them soon.
10. Energy healing is becoming more common and there are about 100 different modalities of energy healing. There are many great ones. One day, I will list all the ones I have heard of/tried/studies/practiced and you can all help me add to the list.
If God is guiding you to try it, or to study it, etc, you should ponder and pray about how to go about it. We need more good LDS healers. At it's core, the LDS church doctrine and Christ's life are all about energy healing.
11. Some Issues: That said, I do have some issues with what many people call Energy Healing. I have a background in hypnotherapy and then I have added lots of energy healing techniques on top of that. Although hypnotherapy is also energy healing--but for the most part, what is categorized under energy healing tends to be very focused on the past and healing the issues there, and I don't feel that there is enough or any emphasis on developing skills to cope with life now and move forward. Very few "energy healing" techniques have this built in. Sure, clearing old stuff may help with life now, but not as much as you would think. Balance is needed. That's why I always think meditation (and some forms of hypnosis/imagery) is a great core practice if you are on a healing journey and especially if you are a healer.
Meditation, in my opinion, is the best kind of energy healing, and it is free. Everyday you can go to the ultimate healer. Not long ago, I started to require all my clients meditate and it cut their visits down a lot. That sounds counter intuitive as a business strategy, but it allows me to see the next person who needs help and creates more healthy people who can then help others.
My other issue is that there is sometimes a little too much emphasis on technique or training or certification. Certifications are definitely important if you are seeking out a healer, but if you are just wanting to learn to help your family and friends, they are not as important. I went to school for a long time with a lot of people from all walks of life. Some took every course and got every certification and were poor therapists. Some were technically very savvy, but there was no love and they gave up pretty quickly when it wasn't making them rich. I worked with and practiced with many therapists/healers and eventually taught at an accredited college of hypnotherapy. When I taught, all the students wanted to know the secret to success. This is what I found: the best healers are the ones who know their stuff, but in the end, will throw out everything and follow intuition with confidence. They are the ones who have their own lives together, they live what they preach, and above all, they have an unconditional positive regard for all people. These are the people that just being in their presence is healing. I am grateful to know a few people like that. And now that I think of it, I think all of them meditate in some way. :)