Why I Wish Mormons Wore Turbans

Sometimes, I wish Mormons wore turbans. I mean, really, we are the only orthodox religion I know of who don't have an outwardly identifiable clothing or hair-dos. That means Mormons look like everyone else. I used to enjoy this anonymity but in recent years I almost prefer that people saw me coming.

Then before they even said hello, they would know they were dealing with someone who is not mainstream. That's right, I said it, active Mormons are not mainstream. We are minority that is as punk ethic and counter-culture as can be. Those who embrace the restored gospel of Jesus Christ resist many things the current culture embraces. That's what punk ethic means. And we are only becoming more and more "peculiar." How many people do you know who don't drink besides Mormons and recovering alcoholics? How  many people do you know who abstain from sex until marriage, and who believe that God and Jesus appeared to a  14-year old boy and that an angel gave him plates made of gold and magical stones to translate them? It's hardly conservative if you think about it. It's radical and punk ethic. And I believe and live it.  

And yet, we look just like everyone else. Sometimes, when people find out I'm a Mormon, there is an awkward shock. I can see in their eyes they feel tricked into getting to know me. Then at other times I am the one who feels awkward, when I realize they don't know I'm Mormon and it has been way too long that we have been friends for them not to know, and I feel like I did trick them a little.

I have lots of turban wearing Sikh friends and when I see them coming it makes me smile. I think, there is a person who believes in God and chants praises to his name every day.

When I meditate I love the cranial adjustment I get when I tie on a head covering. I feel humble and at the same time royal--like I'm wearing a crown. I'm so used to it that when I don't have a covering during meditation, I feel as though my brains might fall out. (Energetically speaking, of course.)

In about a jillion paintings of Christ and Christ's era, he and others with him are wearing turbanny things. Here's a couple pics.




And in Exodus 29:6 when God instructs how to put the holy garments on Aaron it includes this. 

"And you shall put the turban upon his head, and put the holy crown upon the turban."

Some of the versions of the Bible use the word "mitre" instead of turban. "A mitre was made of linen and was a wrap of linen about his head in the form of a turban... The holy crown was a plate of gold which had these words, "holiness to the Lord", engraven on it." (Bible Hub)


I'm not suggesting any new kind of dress code. I'm just saying.... We are punk ethic and I totally embrace it. That's what it means to be in the world and not of it.

And it guess it's pretty nice that I can wear a turban if I want to and not when I don't want to.

Comments

  1. Welcome oh Friendly Combatant to the honor of wearing a turban! Do you know what the turban actually represents? When you wear a turban you are wearing your coffin on your head - for the turban is what you are buried in at your death. It is a constant reminder that this is the only thing in this life you will take with you to the grave.

    FriendlyCombatant.org I would love to interview for the program, would you agree?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts