When The Spirit Moves You Into The Uncharted



This last few months I have seen a lot of people moved around, some to obscure places, where they don't know anyone, where there is no cultural support for their lifestyle (for example, being vegetarian in Tennessee) and where there isn't much conscious community.  I have been reading the Book of Mormon with my daughter this year. We read very slowly, a few verses at a time, but it helps me to ponder them deeply.

Here's what I learned recently. When God sends Lehi's family into the wilderness to eventually set up their own new community in the promised land, he didn't send them alone. He knew that Lehi's sons and daughter's would need husbands and wives, so he sent them back to get Ishmael's family to come with them. 

"And it came to pass that the Lord did soften the heart of Ishmael, and also his household, insomuch that they took their journey with us down into the wilderness to the tent of our father."  (1 Ne 7:5)

The Lord can soften hearts to get people spouses, or friends or other kinds of cool peeps for companionship in whatever wilderness you may feel led to, whether it is a new job or a new town or a new school. If you feel alone where you are, I invite you to pray for more friends/people to come into your life or your physical orbit, town, etc. (I also invite you to play the mantra Rakhay Rakhanahaar.) In this story in the Book of Mormon, Nephi and his brothers actually go back to Jerusalem to try to persuade Ishmael.

Using the Spirit, and sometimes a little human persuasion, we can build personal zion communities where we are, or where we are heading.  

And until then, remember we live in a wonderful connected age where you can reach out around the world in a second. I have some great online groups. Here's one you can request to join (the others are closed). I also like to make an effort several times a year to get together in person with my bigger community of people-- for example, at a retreat, a training, a yoga festival, or a reunion. I soak in all the learnings and good vibes I can, and come back renewed to keep building my outpost where I am.

Much love to you. I hope this email finds you well, and I hope to see you online or at a retreat or other event soon.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post. I spent years desiring a community, a tribe, a group of people who were trying to do some of the things I was trying to do. I was seeking, but honestly I don’t know if I prayed about it! I am learning to do that more often and more quickly these days. Thanks for the reminder that we can ask for what we need and we may have to take action to get it. While I have found a new tribe in the past year or so, I am still finding “my people.” 😁❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post. It gave me hope. I don't often allow myself to feel lonely or a longing for community, but have been intensely longing for the very thing lately, and giving myself permission to ask God for direction in this thing. This message coming at this time gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts