Thoughts, Imagination, and Wings As Eagles

I have been thinking about the power of imagination and thoughts and this post is the result of several inspired emails from people and my scripture study this morning. The first insight came from Sister C, and is about the power of thoughts. In the story of Alma the younger, as he himself recounts it, he tells how after the angel confronted him and his friends about their bad behavior, his soul was racked with torment:
 16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.
Then he remembers the words of his father:
 17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
This is just a thought. But he chooses to pursue this thought:
 18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
As soon as he thought this....
 19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
It was a thought! It was a thought that allowed him to access the atonement and freed him from the chains and torment.
 20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!  (Book of Mormon, Alma, Chapter 36)

Okay think about that as I cue up the next part.



Today I was studying about wings in the scriptures. Allie sent me an email saying that she had discerned metaphysical eagle wings on me and wondered what I do with this spiritual gift. I love these emails. I always wonder what kind of ads gmail will generate up for me when they crawl these kinds of emails. But leaving gmail aside, let's talk about wings. I knew I had them... but hadn't thought too much about them. So I decided to investigate. Why? What do they do/represent?

The first thing I think of is Revelations 4 and the four beast that surround the thrown of God. This is where I found my first scripture mantra and so I have a special affinity for this chapter. And in D&C God tells Joseph Smith that wings represent power. I realize that I have spiritual power, but why?

Well, we know that the scriptures say that Jesus will rise with "healing in his wings." And that he will gather his people like a hen gathers her chicks under her wing. I am both a healer and I do have a gift/responsibility for gathering people. It just sort of happens. I gather people.

But these are not chicken wings. They are wings like an eagle. The most famous scripture about eagle wings is from Isaiah 40:31
 31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
 I have always loved that scripture, but here is a little jewel I found in D&C 124:99 today that adds a bit more awesome details.

98 And these signs shall follow him—he shall heal the sick, he shall cast out devils, and shall be delivered from those who would administer unto him deadly poison;
 99 And he shall be led in paths where the poisonous serpent cannot lay hold upon his heel, and he shall mount up in the imagination of his thoughts as upon eagles’ wings.
 The first part is standard signs that follow those who believe in Christ. The second part adds so much to concept of eagle's wings. It is actually the imagination that gives one the power to "mount up" as it were, with wings as eagles. It is truly our thoughts and the things we create with our imagination that elevate us and give us access to healing, and it is our thoughts and imaginations that drag us down. Or to be clear, it is the thoughts we choose to pursue. We do not always generate the thoughts that come to our minds. The thought that came to Alma's mind was probably put there by the Spirit, but he chose to take hold of it.

"You think you think but you don't think.... Don't complicate things by trying to think....As humans we have one power, to pursue a thought. What are you gonna pursue? "I am finite" Or, "I am infinite?" - Yogi Bhajan


I am teaching a week-long imagery certification course in Ojai, California that begins in 3 weeks. In it I will be training people to guide others through journeys of the imagination for healing, positive change, and divine connection. Here is the info. I just thought I would put this out there that I know there are few more people who are supposed to be here for it and so if it is you, please pursue it and create it. I will pray that the path will be clear for you to come.  Sat Nam.


Comments

Popular Posts