Packing For a World Tour

Remember in the Victorian Age when British elite would all send their sons and daughters on what they called the World Tour when they were in their late teens? They considered it and essential part of the child's education.



Now college age American kids backpack Europe and go for days without washing their jeans. They sit in cafes and write in their journals and there is sometimes drinking and debauchery with other Americans.

I prefer the way the Brits did it. I won't be traveling with a cedar trunk or a personal valet, but I believe I can do it in relative comfort. And I think the world will be a great education for my daughter.

All my friends want to know how I am financing this trip. The answer is that I am not. God is. And it happens to be a lot cheaper to travel some parts of the world than to pay rent in some parts of America. So I am putting all of what remains of my stuff in storage. I have the smallest storage unit available, but I still hate that I have one. However, there are a few things I can't get rid of (grandpa's journals) and a few things that are sentimental and I love them (my chaise lounge). And I'd rather pay storage fees than pay rent for an empty house.

Our trip is open ended and I don't know how long it will last. I plan to follow the spirit where it leads us. Beginning in England, and we will mostly likely stay with friends/students and be chasing Kundalini Level 2 modules.

How to pack has been very tricky. All the lists I have found on line are for people who are not traveling with a child. And don't also have to pack white yoga clothes and some other gear I need for doing my work overseas (I have a hard time not brining a million books! So I am only bringing 8.) But I think we have got it figured. We are traveling with one carry on each and I am only checking one bag.

It is interesting to be doing two different kinds of packing. One I am very excited about (our trip) and the other I am avoiding (moving packing). First world problems, right?

I hope that when we come back we are both a lot wiser, more faithful, humble, compassionate, close to God and each other. I look forward to sharing this journey with you as I go.




Comments

  1. Don't know if this will be helpful at all, but this is my SIL's blog post about what she packed... she has been in SE Asia wandering around with two bags since January and she is still going! http://camellionchild.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-pack-my-advice-after-100-days-of.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts