Peace Feast

My word for the year as you may know is peace. A few months ago I found this in the Bible Dictionary under Sacrifices:
Peace offerings, as the name indicates, presupposed that the sacrificer was at peace with God; they were offered for the further realization and enjoyment of that peace. The characteristic rite was the sacrificial meal. A feast symbolized fellowship and friendship among all its partakers and providers, and also a state of joy and gladness. (Luke 14:15; Ps 23:5; Matt 22:1)
I love this idea of a feast and sharing peace with one's friends. I vowed then an there to have a feast for my friends. I thought of all the people I would invite. An exclusive little dinner party of my besties. 




Then I read some of the scriptures associated with it. Ha! In the parable of the feast a man decides to have a feast (in some accounts it is a wedding) and he sends his servants to call the invited guests and they all make excuses and don't come, so he invites anyone and everyone off the street so his house may be filled. 

The Parable of the Wedding Banquet by Paulo Veronese 1563
Luke 14:12-14 says:
Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbors.... But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
The Lord is trying to teach those who will hear to reach beyond their orbit and bless yourself by blessing others. As Nanek said, all souls weigh the same. Ultimately, Zion is about being of one heart and mind--this does not just mean with one's friends and kinsmen. That is hypocrite Zion.

I had an experience in Hawaii where I realized that many of the people we see on the street that look "homeless" are actually translated beings. And I had a blissful experience at Sat Nam Fest where I was dancing during the Ajeet concert and looking into the eyes of hundreds of other souls and didn't know who was human and who was angel. There was no difference. And I thought, there could be world peace if we all looked at each other this way. 

So I am hosting a feast. And I am inviting all. All people of all faiths of all backgrounds to come and share with me in fellowship and friendship. The Hari Krishnas have this down and so do the Sikhs in many places. They know how to feed the masses and welcome all who come. There is something about feeding the masses and peace. They are intertwined...Something to think about. Interesting that the Sikh outreach share a meal program is named The Khalsa Peace Corps.
Mormons need serious help in the feeding the masses area. (Hint: plant based food will not offend anyone!) But instead of complaining I am inviting. 

This is where I let out my big secret about my summer whereabouts. This summer, for the whole summer, I will be doing the work of the Lord in Utah. I am subletting a house in Salt Lake City. It's not a big house so it won't take much to fill it, but I want to fill it. And if anyone else wants to be a provider at this feast let me know and we can coordinate feastly details or find a bigger location. It will probably be in July after I return from the Kundalini Yoga Summer Solstice Event. I'll post the date when I decide on it and then you can get to work on inviting anyone and everyone. Even the homeless guy on the corner.

Though I will be in Utah the whole summer (for reasons I'll write about another time), I won't be making a ton of appearances there, because my first priority (especially in the summer) is being a full-time mom. So if you want to come to a class or something I am teaching make sure to sign up for my newsletter list so you know when and where they are happening, including my feast. 

I look forward to feasting with you soon!


Comments

  1. I just listened to this chapter in Luke and had a similar thought. Depending on what day you do it, I can probably drive down. I feel strongly about feeding people healthy foods and would love to help you prepare and serve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts